De Facto Relationships
You may need legal help for a de facto relationship
The rules that apply for De Facto Relationships may differ from normal family rules in Australia. So, that’s a good idea to seek legal advices if you decide to go to a de facto relationship.
We would help
Our legal advice include
Registering a de facto relationship
- Legal advice to your de facto relationship status
- Most states and territories allow you to register a de facto relationship through the state’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. This provides you with a certificate which can be used as proof of the de facto relationship
- A registered relationship or civil union may also create rights for property division
Breakdown of a de facto relationship
There are matters regarding the division of property or children. Upon the breakdown of a de facto relationship, there are three ways to sort out how to divide property:
- By agreement without court involvement;
- Through an agreement formalised by the court through an application for Consent Orders
- By applying to the court for orders.
Rights to court orders
Most Australian states and territories allow people to apply to either the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court for a de facto relationship, however in Western Australia, you need to apply to the Family Court of Western Australia to resolve issues relating to children or property.
Death of a de facto partner
If you are considering to be in a relationship and your partner dies, then you have the same rights as a married person. These rights may involve:
- A share of an estate where no Will exists
- The right to challenge the Will if inadequate
- Receive compensation entitlements under workers compensation law if your partner dies during the course of employment
- Claim social security entitlements.
Let Our Experience Be Your Guide
Get Your First Consultation Now
Free initial consultation
Guide & Support
It is of great importance that parents find a proper approach to inform their kids about their separation to avoid extreme and negative influence on their mental life.
It is important that you are conscientious with your own issues and your own money if you would like to obtain a responsible family lawyer.
Family lawyers at Dev Smith Nguyen prefer working in harmony, lay your trust in us and our team will do our best to make you enjoy our companion.
According to South Australia’s family law, you can reach the final property settlement of your marriage breakdown by contested or uncontested property settlement.
Though it is not a typical decision during a divorce and property settlement process, changing your family lawyer should be considered under certain circumstances.