What you need to know when bringing someone with you to Australia

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You can also add dependent children to your application at any time before your application are approved. However, family members who apply for the visa must meet the standards as well as health and character requirements indicated from Australian government.

What family members are included

  • The main applicant’s spouse or de facto partner 
  • The main applicant’s child, or their partner’s child, who is not engaged, married or in a de facto relationship and is: 
    • Aged under 18 years, or 
    • Aged 18 to 23 years and dependent on the main applicant or the main applicant’s partner, or 
    • Aged 23 years or older and dependent on the main applicant or the main applicant’s partner due to a partial or total physical or mental disability 
  • The dependent child of the child above 

Health Requirement: 

Australia enjoys some of the best health standards in the world. To maintain these standards, most visa applicants must meet minimum health standards before  granted a visa. The health checks are vary and depending on the different visa stream as well as specific circumstances. You should follow the link to get further health requirements relating to Australian migration

Characters Requirements: 

You may not pass the character requirements in some circumstances. These include if:   

  • You have a substantial criminal record 
  • You have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention, or convicted for an offence that you committed While you were in immigration detention, pr during an escape from immigration detention 
  • After an escape, but before you were taken into immigration detention again
  • You are or have been a member of a group or organisation, or had or have an association with a person, group or organisation that the minister reasonably suspects of being involved in criminal conduct 
  • The minister reasonably suspects that you have been involved in people smuggling, people trafficking, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery, or a crime that is of serious international concern, whether or not you have been convicted of such an offence 
  • Your past and present criminal or general conduct shows that you are not of good character 

and there is a risk that while you are in Australia you would: 

  • Engage in criminal conduct 
  • Harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person 
  • Vilify a segment of the Australian community 
  • Incite discord in the Australian community or in a part of it 
  • Be a danger to the Australian community or a part of it. 
  • You have been convicted, found guilty or had a charge proven for, one or more sexually based offences involving a child 
  • You are subject to an adverse security assessment by the australian security intelligence organisation 
  • You are subject to an interpol notice, from which it is reasonable to infer that you are a direct or indirect risk to the australian community, or a segment of the australian community. 

When applying: 

  • Declare all criminal conduct you have engaged in 
  • Truthfully answer all questions
  • Provide all requested information 
  • You don’t need to be worry if you do not meet all the character requirements. The Australian government will consider all circumstances of a case. Even if you do not meet the character requirements, you can definitely be granted your visa
  • If you are not completely honest about your criminal history, you may be refused your application. 
Bring family member to Australia, Migration
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin

Related Articles

Follow us

Let Our Experience Be Your Guide 

Get Your First Consultation Now

Legal Insight

Trust, Will, Differences between trust and will
The differences between a Will and a Trust

“Will” and “Trust” are familiar terms in estate planning. Though they both can contribute to perfect an estate plan, these two devices are not alike in many different ways.
The first as well as the most important difference between a will and a trust is that a will goes into effect only after you die, while a trust takes effect as soon as you create it.

Will Maker, Estate Planning, Will Preparation, Beneficiaries, Heir
What is Estate Planning?

Estate Planning is regarded as an advanced arrangement of how all properties and investments are mange when someone passes away. This process is essential to avoid possible disputes and arguments in regard to these assets.

Where Should to keep Will, Keeping Testament
Where should I keep my Will

As a valuable document, a will should be kept in a safe place when it is completed. There are some recommended options that you might take

Sign business contract
Tips before signing a business contract

A business contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more persons or entities. It is recommended that you bear in mind some tips below before the official signing.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Save time

Book Appointment

Whether you want to book an appointment or get enquire, just go from here.


Go online and self-book to join your appointment by remote video or phone call.

We can help

Scroll to Top

Request a call back now