There are many visa options to choose from if you want your parents to join you in Australia. Those options may be travel visas, visiting visas, temporary visas such as Contributor Parent Visa Temporary Subclass 173 (TR) or permanent visa such as Contributory Parent Visa Permanent– Subclass 143. In general, those visas require more times to process, stricter criteria, and higher cost. Also, some visiting, or travel visas only allow to live in Australia a short time from 3, 6, 9, or 12 months, or maximum 24 months and then you have to extend for re-apply.
Luckily, from 1st July 2019, The Australian government has launched a new Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa – Subclass 870. This visa is the quickest and easiest way to join your parents in Australia and suitable for most people
Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa – Subclass 870
- This visa is for a parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- This visa allows to stay up to 3 or 5 years, and then you can apply for further
- Government cost $5,000 for stay up to 3 years or $10,000 for stay up to 5 years
- No balance of family test. The number of children or step-children of your parents have lived in Australia (citizen or permanent) do not need to equal to or more than the total number of children that are living in other countries.
- Processing times are much faster
- No assurance of support requirements
- This visa allows one to enter and leave Australia for multiple time. This means you can leave Australia and then come back at any time and many times as you may desire when you hold this visa
From our point of view, this visa is the best option for those who wish to bring their parents to join in Australia to stay for a long time. Whether to visit family, take care of your children or just for travel. If this is the right option for you, just give us a call and we will be happy to help you.