Bringing parents to Australia is the dream for many immigrants, whether visiting family, taking care of children or living permanently in Australia. There are many visa options to choose from. However, if you wish to join your parent in Australia permanently, this article is for you.
In most cases, bringing your parents to Australia permanently require applying for the Contributor Parent Visa 173 (TR), or you can directly apply for Permanent Contributory Parent Visa 143.
Contributor Parent Visa Temporary Subclass 173 (TR)
This is a temporary visa and it does not take as long as to be granted. Overall:
- This visa is for parents of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Allows your parent to stay in Australia for up to 2 years
- Your parents must meet the balance of family test. This means the number of your parent’s children or step-children have lived in Australia (be it citizen or permanent) must be equal or more than the total number of children who are living in other countries.
If your parents only want to live in Australia temporarily, this visa is perfect for them, otherwise, they can apply for the Permanent Parent Visa – Subclass 143 to be a permanent resident
Permanent Contributory Parent Visa – Subclass 143
- This visa is for a parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- This is a permanent visa that lets your parents live in Australia permanently
- Government cost from $47,755 Aud
- Processing times for this visa is from 4 years
- Meet the balance of family test, this means the number of your parent’s children or step-children of your parents must have lived in Australia (be it citizen or permanent) must be equal or more than the total number of children that are living in other countries.
- Your parents must have an assurance of support (normally from you or their eligible child). That means your parents should not have to rely on government assistance after they enter Australia
- Your parents must be outside Australia at the time the visa is being to be decided
- No need to hold any other visa and it is ok if they have never come Australia before
Bringing your parents to Australia permanently may require more time to process and more expensive than other options. Fortunately, you have many easier options such as visiting visas, travel visas, or temporary visas, those visas let your parents live in Australia temporarily from 3 months up to 5 years and can easily be re-applied for or be extended. For more than ten years we have worked as migration agents, bringing loved ones to Australia is an easy process as there are and have many visa options to choose from, just give us a call and we will be very happy to help you.