Points table for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

Keep in mind

  • Points criteria are assessed at the time of invitation.
  • You do not need to satisfy all the criteria but you must score at least 65 points or above at the time you apply for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • You will only be awarded one set of points under each factor. For example, if you have an English language ability of Proficient, you will be awarded 10 points for Proficient English and not points for both Proficient English and Competent English.
  • The criteria in this table are published and reviewed by Australian Home Affairs regularly, and the information in this website is for reference only, not intended for any other purpose.



at least 18 but less than 25 years
at least 25 but less than 33 years
at least 33 but less than 40 years
at least 40 but less than 45 years

English language skills


Skilled employment experience

  • You can only claim points for employment if the employment was in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation; and you were employed at least 20 hours a week for the relevant periods set out in the table, and in the 10 years before you are invited to apply. 
  • For any Australian employment you must have held a substantive visa or a Bridging A or Bridging B visa and complied with the conditions of that visa to be eligible for points.

Closely-related occupations must be:

  • in the same ANZSCO Unit Group or
  • consistent with a career advancement pathway or
  • recognised by an assessing authority that it is closely related to your nominated occupation, as part of your skills assessment

Overseas skilled employment – (outside Australia)


Less than 3 years
At least 3 but less than 5 years
At least 5 but less than 8 years
At least 8 years

Australian skilled employment – (in Australia)


Less than 1 year
At least 1 but less than 3 years
At least 3 but less than 5 years
At least 5 but less than 8 years
At least 8 years

Educational qualifications

Recognition of your qualifications
  • The authority undertaking your skills assessment may determine if your qualifications are comparable to the relevant Australian qualification. Assessing authorities are listed against your occupation in the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations. You must have obtained this recognition at the time you are invited to apply for a visa.
  • If you hold an overseas qualification at bachelor level or above and your skills assessing authority did not offer an opinion on that qualification then it is open to you to contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) for advice. VETASSESS can provide an assessment of the comparative educational level of these qualifications to support your claim for these points.
Doctoral requirements (PhD)
  • You can only be awarded points for a doctoral degree if you have completed a qualification at the relevant level, that is,  a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). 



A Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution, that is of a recognised standard.
At least a Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or at least a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution, that is of a recognised standard.
A diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution.
Attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for that occupation
Specialist education qualification
A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years study in a relevant field:

Natural and physical sciences

  • biological sciences
  • chemical sciences
  • earth sciences
  • mathematical sciences
  • natural and physical sciences
  • other natural and physical sciences
  • physics and astronomy

Information technology

  • computer science
  • information systems
  • information technology
  • other information technology

Engineering and related technologies

  • aerospace engineering and technology
  • civil engineering
  • electrical and electronic engineering and technology
  • engineering and related technologies
  • geomatics engineering
  • manufacturing engineering and technology
  • maritime engineering and technology
  • mechanical and industrial engineering and technology
  • other engineering and related technologies
  • process and resources engineering.
Meet the Australian study requirement
  • You must have at least 1 degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement.

Other factors


Professional Year in Australia

At the time of invitation to apply, you had completed a Professional Year and have been in Accounting, ICT/Computing or Engineering, and:

Credentialled community language
Study in regional Australia
You must have at least 1 degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that satisfies the Australian study requirement obtained while living and studying in an eligible area of regional Australia:
  • must meet the Australian study requirement
  • have been obtained while you lived in, and studied at a campus in, a designated regional area
  • not include study undertaken by distance education

Partner skills


Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and meet age, English and skill criteria
Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and:
  • has competent English
  • must be an applicant for your same visa subclass and must not be an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen.
You are single or your partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
Skill Independent visa ( subclass 189)
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin

Related Articles

Follow us

Let Our Experience Be Your Guide 

Get Your First Consultation Now

Legal Insight

Bankruptcy. Commercial Law
What can I keep and lose if I’m bankrupt?

When you are declared of bankruptcy, you have to accept that you will lose your assets to pay for debts. However, to enable your ability to go forward with your life, there remains some items you can keep to afford basic living demands.

What is Bankruptcy?
How many type of bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is a term often related the state of being seriously in debt with no realistic opportunities to settle them down.

Sign business contract
Tips before signing a business contract

A business contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more persons or entities. It is recommended that you bear in mind some tips below before the official signing.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Save time

Book Appointment

Whether you want to book an appointment or get enquire, just go from here.


Go online and self-book to join your appointment by remote video or phone call.

We can help

Scroll to Top

Request a call back now